Portland Center Stage has an interesting poll on their website:
I come to see plays to…
* to get wrapped up in an engrossing story (29%, 55 Votes)
* Laugh and escape for a few hours (27%, 51 Votes)
* to be challenged with new ways of thinking (22%, 42 Votes)
* to have a date night (11%, 21 Votes)
* to spend time with friends (7%, 14 Votes)
* to see my favorite actors perform (4%, 8 Votes)
Total Voters: 190
It’s a very informal poll, and I’m not sure if the questions are the kind I’d ask if I was trying to figure out what the audience wanted… but it’s interesting.
Maybe we’ll try something at Williamston Theatre’s website. Any thoughts on questions/answers that might be useful?